Thursday, September 18, 2014

Blog Assignment #1 9.19.14

As I was reading chapter 7 of The Flour Riot of 1837, I've noticed a statement in particular, "In front of the store, and far beyond it, the flour lay half-knee deep- a sad spectacle in the view of the daily increasing scarcity of grain". (Headley 109) I was curious as to why were people destroying the very thing they demanded. Which brings me to the point we've discussed last class about the "starving" and "suffering" issue. The rioters' actions help prove Headley's claim about people not "actually starving" to be true. I believe the rioters destroyed the flour to make the company owners suffer as citizens were suffering financially. This, in a way, explains the difference between "starving" and "suffering". My question is, although it was a way to strike at the companies, was it really wise to waste the flour?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Taylor, I am glad that I read your blog, You are right in most parts, but you also have to put yourself in to the riot shoes. How would you feel if you was hungry and the only why to get back your right is to break everything in the store. I am not saying that its right for people to do that but i do believe "if i cant have it no one can" which is childish but i wish you explain more on how you fight for both group. Also remember it was because of the raise of tax on flour. you also have to remember back then it was harder for people to feed their family because they was barley making enough money. Also again to answer your question, NO and YES, I wouldnt waste the flour and instead of me taking the flour i steal the money to buy more flour, so the store owner wont think I was a part of the riot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Taylor,

    I agree 100%. The demand of the business owners was not only financially, but also a case of who bought the flour. Some racism was involved as well. The rioters to me felt if they were not able to buy (because of the price) then you will not be able to sell (destroying the flour). Great post!

    Best,
    Brian Ramos

    ReplyDelete